Registered charity

No 1139743

History of Shalford Choral Society


Shalford Choral Society was formed originally, it is believed, from the Church Choir and has been based within the village of Shalford for the past century. The Society participated in the very first Leith Hill Musical Festival in Dorking in April 1905 and has remained an active and often very successful participant in the Festival ever since. Whilst the Leith Hill Musical Festival has provided a focus for the Society, the choir also performs local concerts, including an annual Christmas Concert at St Mary's Church, Shalford.


Records of Minutes going back over the decades show how the Society has been a social as well as a musical focus for those living in and around the village. Photographs of the Society's 75th anniversary, musical gatherings in members' homes, Christmas carols sung in a local residential home, are events that are all indicative of a choir that draws together for more than (just!) the formalities of music making.


In addition, over the past 10 years the annual Christmas concert has enabled the Society to donate in excess of £8,000 to charitable causes. A donation from the Society's Centenary Concert was given to St Catherine's School harpsichord fund.


The centenary, whilst offering an opportunity to reflect on the past, focussed the Society on the future of the choral singing tradition. Consequently the chamber choir and orchestra of St Catherine's School, Bramley, performed at the Society's Centenary Concert helping to celebrate both the past and future as Shalford Choral Society embarked on a second century of singing.